Thursday, June 25, 2009

Pint sized heartbreak.

As most of you know I have a little boy who will soon be three. It is hard to explain to him sometimes that every time we talk about daddy, that doesn't necessarily mean we are going to see him. This is actually getting harder rather than easier like I thought that it would. We have had vacation bible school at my church this week and my sweet little man has had a blast! There is a separate part set up for the teens and they do their own thing. Age appropriate classes and topics that concern the young teen of today. Well, tonight they had a guest speaker who is about to go to Afghanistan and apparently their outreach segment included making up boxes to send to my hubby. I have no idea what goes on in this class most of the time because I am busy trying to help the younger children master the craft of the day and drive home the message of the night to them. I usually don't make it to the closing part of the night where they do the invitation and recap the night's lessons and all, but tonight they came and got me and asked me to come over to the sanctuary. I thought nothing of this. With as many children as we've had you never know when you might need an extra hand, so I went without question. I got over there and met the lady that is going to Afghanistan, who is a medic by the way and already has a brother and fiance over there, and chatted with here for a while. We had a nice little chat and then they started the closing of the night. The next thing I know they are letting me know that they have a present for Jacob. Several boxes and letters for him. TONS of letters saying thank you. Then they proceeded to say thank you to me. This, of course, made me cry in a very public forum, which I hate to do. It was touching all the same and it will be a nice pick-me-up for Jacob when that stuff gets there. I saw a lot of goodies in those boxes. After they dismissed the kids, another man (we'll call him D) took some pictures of Caleb playing and of me to put on facebook for Jacob. As we are heading home Caleb was singing away in the back to "Cheeseburger in Paradise" and "In the Summertime" and generally having a blast. When we turned onto our road he started crying. I don't mean little whiny cries, but full on bawling. I had no idea what was wrong, but when I parked the car I found out. Caleb was crying because he thought we were going to get daddy and we just went home. :( What a disappointment that was! I have never felt so horrible! I cried the whole time I was getting him ready for bed. Apparently all of the mention of his daddy made Caleb want him. I am still crying. Poor baby. I know that tomorrow he will be all happy again and it will be like this never happened, but I won't soon be forgetting it.
I don't dare tell Jacob about this because it would break his heart to know he is missed like that by his little man, but I had to share the sweetness that is a child's love for his father. People assume he doesn't notice anymore because he is young and children that young usually forget people they don't see for a while. This doesn't apply to parental figures. Jacob was Caleb's favorite playmate and he apparently has forgotten nothing. Please pray for me. I have been a bit emotional the past couple of weeks and this really set me off. I've got to get it together again. Also pray for this young woman heading off into a battlefield to help those who are injured and of course the rest of our soldiers and their families!

5 comments:

Jess said...

I will cry with you! I can not imagine how you do it or for that matter how each and every person over there does it. You are a brave, wonderful, loving wife and mother. You can not keep it together all the time, some times it is better just to let it out. I hate that Caleb really doesn't understand, but rest assured that one day very soon he will know how great and honorable of a dad (and mom) he has :) Love you

Mandi said...

That is so sad!!! He was probably so excited getting into the car after church. What a terrible disappointment that must have been!
That is so nice of the church to write letters and send Jacob some goodies. I know the soldiers appreciate knowing that people on the homefront are thankful for the work they are doing for us.

Constance said...

Thanks Jess. I hope someday he does understand. I know it won't be anytime soon, but someday I hope he is proud of us and what his daddy does and the sacrifices we made.
He wasn't excited to go last night, Mandi. It wasn't until we got going that he got excited, but still... a terrible disappointment when we got home. The people I go to church with are genuinely kind and giving people and they want so much for Jacob to know they care. It really is very touching.

April said...

Oh my gosh! How horrible! Poor baby :-(

How sweet of the class to make Jake up a care package! I am sure he will love it!

Constance said...

Yeah, but as I thought he is perfectly fine now!
They made several care packages! And intend to have more! They really are awesome people.